Breaking — Saudis accept their role in the death of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying “it was just an argument that got physical”

Jamal Khashoggi, the missing activist and writer last seen entering the Saudi Consulate in Turkey on Oct. 2, was killed in a fight, Saudi state media reported on Friday.

“Discussions between citizen Jamal Khashoggi and those who met him while he was in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul led to a brawl and a physical altercation, which led to his death,” Saudi Arabia’s attorney general said in a statement, according to The Wall Street Journal. The announcement of Kashoggi’s death followed the preliminary findings of a probe into what happened to the activist.

State media also quoted prosecutors as saying 18 Saudi nationals are being held on suspicion of being involved in the Washington Post columnist’s death. Saudi state media also said a royal court adviser close to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) was fired along with three leaders in the kingdom’s intelligence services and other officials.

The statements did not identify the 18 Saudis being held by authorities.

Saudi state TV and the state-run Saudi Press Agency carried the statement early Saturday morning.

The announcement comes after President Trump on Thursday said it “certainly” looked like Khashoggi was dead. The president didn’t elaborate on his conclusion but he said the consequences for Saudi Arabia “will have to be very severe” if it’s ultimately found responsible for Khashoggi’s death.

Later Friday night Trump said that Saudi Arabia’s announcement of arrests was a “good first step,” but that what happened there is “unacceptable.”

The president, who called Kashoggi’s death a “horrible event” that has not gone “unnoticed,” said he’d work with Congress on what the U.S. response should be, but that he’d prefer not to hurt American companies and jobs by cutting billions of dollars in arms sales to the kingdom.

“The United States acknowledges the announcement from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that its investigation into the fate of Jamal Khashoggi is progressing and that it has taken action against the suspects it has identified thus far,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. “We will continue to closely follow the international investigations into this tragic incident and advocate for justice that is timely, transparent, and in accordance with all due process. We are saddened to hear confirmation of Mr. Khashoggi’s death, and we offer our deepest condolences to his family, fiancée, and friends.”

King Salman now has a proposal on the “urgent need” to restructure the kingdom’s intelligence services following Khashoggi’s death, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said.

State media say Khashoggi killed in fight in Saudi consulate

Khashoggi, who had written critically of MBS, disappeared two weeks ago during a visit to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials said they feared he was killed and dismembered inside the consulate.

During a meeting with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier this week, Saudi leaders — including King Salman and the crown prince — “strongly denied any knowledge of what took place in their consulate in Istanbul,” Pompeo said. That denial was backed by President Trump prior to Friday’s revelation.

Investigators on Friday had questioned staff from the Saudi Consulate about the disappearance of Khashoggi and explored whether his remains could have been dumped outside Istanbul after his suspected killing, Turkish media and a security official said.

Advertisements

4500 Immigrants packed like sardines on Suchiate River Bridge connecting Mexico & Guatemala.

This is Unbelievable 4500 Immigrants packed like sardines on Suchiate River Bridge connecting Mexico/Guatemala. Human Catastrophe in progress.This will not end well. ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR OBSTRUCTION NOW DEMOCRATS?

 

FLASHBACK: Wikileaks decrypted this video of a US Apache helicopter in 2007 murdering Reuters journalist Namir Noor-Eldeen and others in Baghdad.

Published on Apr 3, 2010

Wikileaks has obtained and decrypted this previously unreleased video footage from a US Apache helicopter in 2007. It shows Reuters journalist Namir Noor-Eldeen, driver Saeed Chmagh, and several others as the Apache shoots and kills them in a public square in Eastern Baghdad. They are apparently assumed to be insurgents. After the initial shooting, an unarmed group of adults and children in a minivan arrives on the scene and attempts to transport the wounded. They are fired upon as well. The official statement on this incident initially listed all adults as insurgents and claimed the US military did not know how the deaths ocurred. Wikileaks released this video with transcripts and a package of supporting documents on April 5th 2010 on http://collateralmurder.com

Statement: Julian Assange launches case over his continued gagging, threat

Image result for Julian Assange launches case over his continued gagging, threat

Julian Assange today launched a case accusing the government of Ecuador of violating his fundamental rights and freedoms. WikiLeaks general counsel Baltasar Garzon arrived in Ecuador yesterday to launch the case against the government. The move comes almost seven months after Ecuador threatened to remove his protection and summarily cut off his access to the outside world, including by refusing to allow journalists and human rights organisations to see him, and installing three signal jammers in the embassy to prevent his phone calls and internet access.

Ecuador refused to let Human Rights Watch General Counsel Dinah PoKempner, who likened Ecuador’s isolation to “solitary confinement” [https://twitter.com/RockinTrump/status/981286495934803968] see him as well several meetings with his lawyers. Ecuador’s measures against Julian Assange have been widely condemned by the human rights community.

Assange’s lawyers are also challenging the legality of the government’s “Special Protocol” reported in the news this week. The protocol makes Assange’s political asylum contingent on censoring his freedom of opinion, speech and association. The protocol also requires journalists, his lawyers and anyone else seeking to see Julian Assange to disclose private or political details such as their social media usernames, the serial numbers and IMEI codes of their phones and tablets with Ecuador–which the Protocol says the government may “share with other agencies”. The Protocol claims the Embassy may seize the property of Mr. Assange or his visitors, and, without a warrant, hand it over to UK authorities.

The United States says that under President Moreno, Ecuador has become a “strategic ally” and the country has re-established security and intelligence cooperation. Earlier this week, US congressmen wrote an open letter to President Moreno stated that in order to advance “crucial matters … from economic cooperation to counternarcotics assistance to the possible return of a USAID mission to Ecuador, we must first resolve a significant challenge created by your predecessor, Rafael Correa – the status of Julian Assange”. [https://democrats-foreignaffairs.house.gov/_cache/files/a/8/a8a63343-fba7-4ea6-8090-5fb3d9f5d3de/7B8CEDB7545C8C99DEDB0AC0931C9873.10-16-2018-letter-from-engel-ros-lehtinen-to-president-of-ecuador.pdf]

Pressure has mounted on Ecuador to hand Assange over to the UK, especially since Mike Pence’s visit in June in which Moreno and Pence “agreed to remain in close coordination” in relation to Mr. Assange, according to the White House [https://twitter.com/TimJohnson4/status/1012405586254852096]. The US case against Julian Assange dates back to the Obama administration 2010, but has been expanded under Trump to include the biggest leak in CIA history, Vault 7.

In July 2018, the Inter-American Court on Human Rights issued a ruling imposing obligations on Ecuador to protect Julian Assange from US extradition. The UN in 2016 found Assange was arbitrarily detained at the embassy by the UK, describing his situation as “inhuman and degrading treatment”. Assange’s legal action comes one week after the UN chiefs for Freedom of Expression and Refugees met with President Lenin Moreno in Ecuador.

Last week, Ecuador’s former President Rafael Correa, under whose administration Assange obtained political asylum, said that the current administration is “trying to break him psychologically” and that a deal had been struck during Pence’s visit to Ecuador earlier this year.

State Department provided ‘clearly false’ statements to derail requests for Clinton docs, ‘shocked’ federal judge says

Image result for State Department provided ‘clearly false’ statements to derail requests for Clinton docs, ‘shocked’ federal judge says

combative exchange at a hearing Friday in Washington, D.C., a federal judge unabashedly accused career State Department officials of lying and signing “clearly false” affidavits to derail a series of lawsuits seeking information about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email server and her handling of the 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth also said he was “shocked” and “dumbfounded” when he learned that FBI had granted immunity to former Clinton chief of staff Cheryl Millsduring its investigation into the use of Clinton’s server, according to a court transcript of his remarks.

“I had myself found that Cheryl Mills had committed perjury and lied under oath in a published opinion I had issued in a Judicial Watch case where I found her unworthy of belief, and I was quite shocked to find out she had been given immunity in — by the Justice Department in the Hillary Clinton email case,” Lamberth said during the hearing.

View Article
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/state-department-provided-clearly-false-statements-to-derail-hillary-clinton-doc-requests-federal-judge-says